Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Totally Wiped Out

This past weekend was one of the most taxing to me physically and mentally since I was in the Army. Saturday morning at 930 we started a level (belt) test in Krav Maga. I had heard it was going to be a long day with a seminar then a short lunch then the test - this is common info, after all. So in my head, I expected one thing and got a lot more than I expected.  The seminar went until just after 230pm, and all was going great. I was tired but focused on the task at hand. About five minutes out from our time to get going again, I was finishing up some light stretching and was headed to the restroom when the first hamstring cramp hit. I had already gone through a gallon of water and a full 64oz Gatorade at this point, and could hardly hold down any more fluids! I knew it was going to be a long day at that point. I won't go through the test too much except to say that both hamstrings were cramping for the first two hours then my abs were cramping at the end along with them. I tried hard to drink as much as I could hold down (full on physical exertion with stomach full of fluid is no joke), but maybe it was too late for that to really matter. To say the cramping was a detriment to the test would be a massive understatement. I was most disappointed in how much trying to prevent cramping took my mind off the tasks at hand. I don't yet know if I passed or not. I do know that regardless of the outcome I did not quit.

Sunday I was pretty damn sore from head to toe. I did a little shopping, a ton of hydrating, and by afternoon I was feeling a good bit better. I figured that a nice easy jog at Town Lake would be good to loosen up my legs and my dog would enjoy it too so we headed to the Hike & Bike trail and did a nice easy 5k jog.

Monday morning...holy shit! I am not sure running Sunday was such a great idea. I felt like I imagine a 80yr old feels. Could barely move around from sore, tight, and generally unhappy everything! I had planned to go to Krav Maga class, but I decided to do 30min of restorative yoga and take the dog for an hour or so long walk.

2011-Dec-12
Restorative Yoga, 30min
Dog walk, 59min

2011-Dec-11
5k easy pace jog at hike & bike

2011-Dec-10
KM Level Seminar & Test
496min, 5232cal


No comments:

Post a Comment